- This pilgrimage starts at the dramatic ruins of the 12th Century Premonstratensian Abbey at Talley and finishes at the equally impressive ruins of the Tironian Abbey at St Dogmaels. Our 50 mile journey between the two takes us through stunning countryside and ancient woodlands, beside turbulent rivers to the sea and past medieaval castles.
- We will be joined on our journey by a local expert (eg an engaging storyteller or wild flower expert)
- Mileage is 11 miles / 12 miles / 12 miles / 11 miles / 4 miles over the 4.5 days walking (total: 50 miles / 80 kms)
- Accommodation is at two places in shared rooms and facilities.
- Most food included (just three pub suppers excluded).
DAY 01 – Llandeilo: We meet this afternoon in Carmarthen from where we will be transferred to the picturesque town of Llandeilo where we will stretch the legs with a short walk. We continue then to Brechfa in the forest of the same name for our overnight at a local hostelry or self contained accommodation (our home for three nights).
DAY 02 – 11 miles / 18 kms: Our trail starts today at Talley Abbey ruins dating from the 12th Century from where we make our way over the hills to Abergorlech. Now we enter the woodland proper as we follow trails through Brechfa Forest (predominantly sessile oak and other broadleaved trees) to reach the welcoming Pilgrims Church of St Michaels with it’s delightful labyrinth for a peaceful meditative walk at the end of the day.
DAY 03 – 11 miles / 18 kms: After a hearty breakfast, we return to the trail for a day walking firstly through the forest, then over the hills to the western side of the Cambrian Mountains. We reach the Llandysul area and then transfer back to Brechfa for our final night. Throughout our time walking together we will share stories of ancient Celtic times and nature’s secrets bringing the countryside to life.
DAY 04 – 12 miles / 19 kms: Breakfast and then we are back to our route where we meet the Teifi River coursing it’s way from the high hills of the Cambrians down to the sea at Cardigan (Aberteifi – literally mouth of the Teifi). Today we pass through a number of traditional market towns starting at Llandysul and finishing at Newcastle Emlyn passing castles and marvelling at the impressive beech trees of an ancient riverside woodland. Lovely gentle walking. We are transferred from Newcastle Emlyn to our overnight at Fforest Camp (chalet accommodation).
DAY 05 – 11 miles / 19 kms: On our last full day of walking, we are never too far from the Teifi River as we make our way from Newcastle Emlyn back to our Camp. Stunning waterfalls, holy wells, gentle walking and of course, the obligatory castle are some of the highlights of our day.
DAY 06 – 4 miles / 6 kms: After breakfast, we walk the last few miles into St Dogmaels and have time to explore these accessible ruins at our leisure. After lunch (own account) in Cardigan, we will transfer you back to Carmarthen to meet up once again with your car or connect with other transport.
- Services of a qualified Lowland Walk Leader Guide and outdoor First Aider
- The trail starts and finishes in Carmarthen and all transport during the walk is included (please see Arrival / Departure details below)
- Overnight accommodation in dormitory style accommodation or twin rooms and includes bedding and towels.
- All meals except 3 dinners (Days 1-3)
- Luggage transfers
- Items of a personal nature such as drinks, tips etc
- Single supplement (please ask for details)
- Travel insurance
- Transport should you need to skip a stage
PRICES AND DEPARTURES
The Abbey Connection
6 Days / 50 Miles (80 Kms)
Departures: 18 – 23 June 2021
Price: £745.00 pp
Single supplement: Not available
Please use the buttons below to get in touch for more information or make a booking via our online form. To avoid disappointment, please check availability before making a booking.
The tour starts at Carmarthen Railway Station at 2pm (see transport arrangements below).
The walk ends in Cardigan and we will then transfer you back to Carmarthen. See below for departure suggestions.
GETTING TO CARMARTHEN
- Train – If you are travelling by train, please arrange to arrive at Carmarthen station before 2pm and we can collect you and take you to the start of the walk at Brechfa.
- Megabus – There is a daily Megabus service from London to Carmarthen which also calls at Cardiff and Swansea (timetables here). The bus gets in around 8pm so you will need an overnight in Carmarthen if choosing this option.
- Car – You can leave your car in Carmarthen (ask us for low cost car park details) and connect with the 2pm pick up from the station.
LEAVING ST DOGMAELS
- Train – If you are travelling by train, we can return you to Carmarthen station. Please arrange transport after 4pm.
- Megabus – There is a daily Megabus service from Carmarthen to London which also calls at Cardiff and Swansea (timetables here). The bus departs Carmarthen at 10am so you will need an overnight in Carmarthen if choosing this option. We can transfer you to Carmarthen.
- Car – If you have left your car in Carmarthen we can transfer you back to the station arriving by 4pm.
In the planning stages:
- One day pilgrimages
- North Wales
- Tintern Abbey
- Religious Pilgrimages
Further details will be posted here soon.
Your Own Private Pilgrimage
At Guided Pilgrimage, we are happy to design a guided walk (multi-day or single day) around a destination of your choice. Just let us know your group size, preferred destination (or we can help you choose a suitable one) and walk duration and we will be happy to put something together for you.
This might be particularly suitable for someone who wants their own private experience or a spiritual leader / personal development coach or facilitator who wants to explore more with a group in the outdoors but does not have the required qualifications / insurance to do so. With us looking after the walk and living arrangements on the trip, the leader is able to concentrate on the rest of the content.
We can also include speakers or demonstrations from craftsmen/women en route from many walks of life to enable you to offer something uniquely different to your group. Do get in touch if this is of interest.